Sunday, March 30, 2008

Are You Becoming?

Each step suggests
Lack of focus
An enslaved mind
Remains ensnared
Breath and body
Breed indulgence
Glimpse of glory
Exposes error
Purpose paved path
One sacred soul
Limitless love
Found free of pride
Clean conscious proved
Complete control
Surrendered life
Stands glorified

Exodus 34: 29-35 speaks of when Moses would come down from Mount Sinai after speaking to God. The Israelites became fearful when they saw that Moses’ face was, “…radiant because he had spoken with the Lord.” He then put a veil over his head until he entered the Lord’s presence.

2 Corinthians 3:18 “And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.”

I’m not sure if what I am going to say will ring true with everyone…….actually, I don’t know if it will ring true with anyone. But this is what I have learned over the last few months, so I want to share what I am passionate about.

What I’ve noticed: I’ve come to realize that when I feel stale or bored in my relationship with God it usually stems from a reoccurring problem. I am not becoming. I am not allowing myself to be transformed by the Spirit of God. It’s as if I’m waiting; maybe to hear something new, or for something big to happen. I’m simply not content……

What I’ve learned: Never will I be content in what I AM during the process, because I am not yet what I am intended to be. I find my purpose, passion, and fulfillment in the PROCESS of being formed by God; the continual shaping of me.

Thoughts
: Selfish? At first I thought it was; why am I focusing on myself? Well now I know that thought is stupid. Why? Because to be transformed, one must put aside fleshly desires and allow God to be the controller of your life. As you are becoming who you are meant to be your life can better radiate God’s glory. I sure hope that’s not selfish.

I dare you to try it: Ask God how He wants to change you. Maybe He wants you to remove something from your life, or to practice being humble, loving, joyful, patient, obedient, fearless, or faithful. It could be anything I guess. Maybe it’s something obvious or something intricate.
Here’s the tricky part. Wait for an answer. Silently wait. I promise He will answer. He promises He will answer. I’m sure very few will do this, but it is so so so worth it.

Your Thoughts: Do you disagree with anything? What are some ways God has transformed you so your face can shine brighter? Do you agree with the ‘What I’ve learned' section? How often do you sit in silence awaiting God’s voice and has it been worth it?
“You think we can actually be radiant like Moses with an unveiled face?”

7 comments:

ArenaTrinity said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ArenaTrinity said...

The interesting thing about the glory of God, being so marvelous and radiant, is that it CAUSED Moses to wear a veil.. That blows my mind away!! Think about it. We could experience God in a way that would be so magnificent that other people would have to wear sunglasses. I have been seeking His glory ever since laying eyes on that verse. In fact I pray that one day I can experience God in a way that Moses did.
Unfortunately I think that is close to impossible. I am certain that Moses did not have as many distractions as we have today. This is not an excuse... but I search for God in this way daily and seem to almost always come up short.

I think there is something powerful to be said in the silence.

Two practices that Jesus regularly participated in were silence and solitude. What is humorous to me on many accounts is the fact that it is so difficult to sit in silence. For me it is not because the silence is over bearing but merely because there is always NoIsE. I cannot seem to rid myself of it, something somewhere is always making noise.

I am certain that God speaks to us in the silence. It is kind of funny to think about. Which is why I am sure a lot of the Bible characters could discern God's voice so clearly. Perhaps they were not subjected to the amount of audio and visual noise that we are. God's voice did not have to compete with all this other crap.

In some ways I think it is encouraging to know that we can hear Him with everything going on around us. (Go us! and YAY DISTRACTIONS...umm not) In other ways I wish my world was less noisy so that His voice didn’t have to compete and so that maybe I could hear him more often.

(I also want to add that I just started this practice of listening in the silence so maybe someday I will hear him all the time... and maybe that just takes time and companionship.)

The Jake said...

First off, let me congratulate you on your poetry. Nice work my man.

That whole Moses thing is interesting. I've heard talks on that about how Moses was ashamed of his glory and veiled it. I'm not sure what I think other than it's just a really cool story and I think there's significance that the shining of God's glory in Moses' face went away after he came back from the mountain and was around a bunch of schlubs.

Anonymous said...

Do you think that is why some pregnant women have a "glow" to them or how new Christians have a "glow" to them. Babies and new parents seem to have a "glow" to them. I know sometimes I have a "glow" inside me but other times not. I wish I knew how to get the "glow" more often. Maybe I should more earnestly pray for it.
Papa John

The Jake said...

That's a pretty cool point Papa John.

thetraditionalplastic said...

mark, this is good...i just wrote a post on "I am not becoming"


it is my first of two... would be interested to hear your thoughts on it. good work holmes

Markus Edwards said...

did u post it on your blog? cuz i dont see it