Tuesday, December 2, 2008

How It Will Happen

Before I saw it
I stood
In the street
Waiting to leave

The road’s black hole
Held me
Stopping me still enough
To escape the street’s sound

It showed its world to me
Like a movie:

How the sidewalks moved
People like a conveyer belt
And the buildings grew like ghosts
Flaunting their power
And how the chewing gum
Lived life like a parasite
On souls
Of people's shoes

Until the cold woke me
It stole me
Pressed the stop button on the movie
Numbing my poor skin

Then I saw it
Kneeling at my feet
I grabbed the penny

I looked my new friend in the face
And told the honest man
What he thought was a lie

"Lets go Abraham
To the woods

Were gonna build a log cabin
And drink some tea."

I stole the penny from that city
And left that place on top


2 comments:

The Jake said...

More people should write poetry about pennies.

Anonymous said...

some justice for the great late Abraham who always seems to get the shorter end of the stick.